Going to where the children are but the gospel isn't – for the 95% of children not in church
It's estimated that a staggering 95% of children and young people in England and Wales aren't in church.* So how are all those children going to hear the good news of Jesus? We certainly can't wait for them to step through our church doors. We need to step out and take the good news to them – to meet them where they are!
Reaching those beyond the church has always been an important part of Scripture Union's mission, but this year, as we celebrate our 150th anniversary, we're making it our number one priority.
But by making this a priority, we're also facing a big challenge – just how do we share the good news with the next generation? How do we connect with those for whom the gospel is likely to be an alien concept?
We can't take on this challenge alone. We'd love you to join us on this journey to ensure that many more children and young people get the opportunity to discover the difference Jesus can make to the challenges and adventures of life.
* Peter Brierley, UK Church Statistics 2, 2010–2020, Tonbridge: ADBC Publishers, 2014
" ... how can they hear, unless someone tells them?" Romans 10:14 (CEV)
What is The 95 Campaign?
The 95 Campaign is all about gathering, equipping and encouraging those with a heart for the 95% of children and young people not regularly in church. To learn and share together and, ultimately, to become more effective in this vital mission.
So, If like us you're passionate about seeing the gospel shared with the next generation in culturally relevant ways, join The 95 Campaign today.
Together, we can make this issue a priority throughout churches in England and Wales, and help ensure today's children and young people have the opportunity to hear and relate to the good news of Jesus.
Tell me more
We aim to engage with tens of thousands of Christians across the country to listen, to learn together and to use the insight we gain to pioneer and test new ways of reaching The 95. With your support, we can make sure that children and young people who aren't in church are not forgotten.
We'll be a catalyst
Why should I join The 95 Campaign?
Together, as a community of churches and individuals, we can ensure children and young people don’t miss out on discovering the difference Jesus can make to the challenges and adventures of life.
By joining the campaign you really can make a difference:
- You’ll be adding your voice to an exciting, growing movement – helping to ensure that reaching the 95% of children and young people not in church is made a priority.
- You'll have opportunities to make your voice heard – we’ll offer clear and simple ways for you to help shape and inform the latest initiatives to reach the 95.
- We’ll keep you informed with news and stories – you’ll be the first to hear about how the campaign is developing and the difference you are making.
- When you join the campaign, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of our award winning Diary of a Disciple (mini edition)! Written in a quirky, contemporary and accessible style, Diary of a Disciple offers a way into the Bible for the next generation and is ideal to share with a child in your life. After you join the campaign you’ll receive an email in which you can order your free copy.
Support for your church
And for your church's children's and youth work:
- You’ll get exclusive access to new developments – we’ll ensure you’re the first to receive new research, and you'll have access to a our series of thought-provoking seminars led by key Christian figures, as well as any new resources and models of mission that are produced.
- When you join the campaign we’ll also be in touch to offer you access to a wide range of resources and tools – from Top Tips videos on children’s work, to resource packs for running Light Parties or after-schools clubs, as well as a comprehensive free tool that allows you to access and tailor thousands of activities to use in your children’s and youth sessions.
- We have also launched a Good News Fund that can provide churches who join the 95 campaign with grants to help pioneer and grow mission initiatives across England and Wales, and we're ready and waiting to receive applications. Find out more
Join the campaign
Signing up to The 95 Campaign is easy, and by joining you'll get a free account giving you access to hundreds of free resources. Together, we can reach the 95% of children and young people not in church.
Take The 95 Census
By taking part in The 95 Census your voice will, among other things, help shape the content of our new resource centre, which will provide free outreach materials and access to training and support for churches and Christian groups across the country.
The 95 Campaign: sharing the good news this Christmas
95% of children are not in church and that's probably why 35% of them believe that Jesus was born in the South Pole! That's why we've produced a brand new beautiful retelling of the real Christmas Story which we hope to get in to as many children's hands as possible this year.